If you leave out the tortilla chips or shell, this taco salad is naturally low in carbs. In addition to that it is very easy to throw together when you just want a quick tasty meal. It is a great want to use meat prepared ahead or from a left over meal. Sour cream and salsa tops it off, if it needs more dressing use either a low-carb ranch type or a lemon and olive oil dressing will work too. This will quickly become a regular favorite for the whole family you don't even have to tell them has less carbs this way.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 green onions, chopped, white and green parts separated into two piles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced (Haas has the least carb)
- small can (4 oz) chopped or sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese – cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a combination
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
Cook the beef in a skillet with chili powder, onions and salt and pepper.
Mix the lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives and green onions together. Then add the meat and cheese and toss it together. Top with salsa and sour cream and enjoy!